Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hurt Feelings

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I got my feelings hurt at work yesterday.  And the hurt feelings quickly turned to anger.  Something I quickly need to get over - but not sure how I'll get over it.

See, there has been some excitement at work this last week.  And because of said excitement, there is extra work that needs to be done.  So, like several others, I have volunteered to help out in any way I can.  I was asked to come in to work 15 minutes early to get something done.  I agreed to do this, knowing that I'd have to make sure I got up earlier and out the door.  I did that for two days.

Let me back up a bit.  Last Thursday, I had to take minutes at a City Council work session.  I hate taking minutes.  I know it is my job, but it is something I hate to do now - mostly because the meetings have a tendency to go on and on.  Anyway, 3 hours later the meeting stops.  I didn't have a chance to work on my minutes on Friday or Monday because of said excitement in the office.  Tuesday, I got to work early and then I had an Excel training workshop to go to (I was hoping to learn new things - at least I learned a couple of shortcuts) and didn't work on my minutes.  I was starting to feel a tiny bit of stress because I had a City Council meeting that night I had to go to.  That meeting was just over two hours long.  Wednesday, I got to work a bit early and I thought everything was fine.  By lunchtime that wasn't so.

See, my co-worker kept commenting about me getting to work early and how could I do that with Sterling?  I assured her that was no problem.  She kept making a big deal about the extra hours that I was putting in this week and that I needed to make sure I either took off early or took an extra long lunch.  Really?  I'm a big girl and know how to keep track of my time and what to do when I work extra hours.  She made several comments to me about extra time - it really started to annoy me.  Especially when she starts to make comments in front of my supervisor about the extra hours this week.  (When she did that, he looked at me and said that I know what to do with my time.  Thank you - yes I do!)

After lunch, this co-worker asked if I thought it would be okay if she left early.  I told her I had planned to work on minutes and not helping out front - but that I wasn't her supervisor and couldn't tell her yes or no.  (my answer would have been "no" anyway).  So she went upstairs to talk to her supervisor.

It just so happened that I had to ask her supervisor a question so I head upstairs to talk to her.  And she tells me that my co-worker told her I was getting burned out and was afraid that me helping wasn't such a good idea.  So, they figured out another solution to the problem I was helping them out with.  Seriously?  Burned out?  For helping them for two days?  THEN, we have to go talk to another person about another issue - and that lady makes comments about me being overworked and how she didn't want to burden me too much.  When I offered to send a fax for the second lady, she tells me that she understands that I have a full plate right now and doesn't want to bother me.  To take one minute and send a fax?  Seriously?

First, I was hurt that they changed plans - I actually liked what I was helping them with.  Then, I was upset that they think I'm overworked.  Why wouldn't my co-worker just listen to me when I told her that everything was fine?  And THEN I got pissed off.  Who is she to tell people that I'm getting burned out?  Who is she to tell people that I can't handle helping them do a job that was taking 30 minutes - a job that was asked of me and I gladly accepted.  Who is she to tell people that I'm overworked?  So, now I'm just plain pissed.

So guess how much fun work is for me?  Not fun at all.  Especially since I look out my office door and see the lady who upset me.  I have really got to get in a good mood - and soon!

1 comment: