Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Misophonia

Do you know what Misophonia is?

I didn't until a couple of weeks ago.  For years, I have thought that I was just cranky about certain things.  You know - people chewing their food (see a few previous posts), clicking their pens, chewing/popping their gum, the boom-boom-boom of music.  I get so irate when I hear those sounds!  Sometimes I have gotten pretty pissed off pretty darned fast (like the morning I walked in and heard the Opera going.)

There has always been something that is just buggy about certain sounds.  Like the gum popping - sometimes it hurts my ears!  Seriously - especially when it is popped really loud.  I would hate to sit in meetings or classes and have people behind me whispering.  It would grate on my nerves and start to make me antsy and irritable.

A couple of weeks ago, my cousin mentioned in a facebook post her "misophonia" and counting the times a lady behind her popped her gum as she was chewing.  I thought to myself that would drive me bonkers, too!  I didn't know what misophonia was, so I googled it.

Wikipedia:  Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a neurological disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds.  It can be described as an immediate and extremely negative emotional response accompanied by an automatic physiological flight response to identifiable auditory, visual, and olfactory stimuli. The disorder disrupts daily living and can have a significant impact on social interactions

Misophonia Facts and Information:

When you suffer from misophonia, you have a strong reaction to specific sounds. People with misophonia can react with irritation, rage and even panic to these sounds.

       
Misophonia is also known as selective sound sensitivity syndrome (SSSS or 4S). If everyday noises like a dripping tap or someone else chewing or clicking a pen makes you irritated or panic, you might suffer from misophonia.
Miso- (hatred) phonia (sound) means strong reactions to selective sounds. It is not to be confused with hyperacusis where sound is perceived as abnormally loud or physically painful.
Though people may have suffered from misophonia for many years, it has only been recognised as a medical condition since the 1990's. As such, misophonia is a syndrome which is still something of a mystery for the general population all over the world.

Symptoms

The symptoms of misophonia often appear in late childhood but onset can be seen at any age. Usually it starts with a single trigger-sound then more sounds are added to the list of triggers.
When exposed to a trigger-sound people with misophonia react with irritation, rage, panic or even physical violence (or the idea of exercising violence).


This is soooo me!  It explains so much.  And it is good to know that I'm not the only one out there!  I seriously thought I was a freak for hating sounds so much.  There are certain places in Sacrament Meeting I WON'T sit because of someone who chews gum non-stop (mouth open - I hear squoosh-squoosh-squoosh and the constant, loud pop).  I hate to be in big crowds because there is always someone who pops their gum - and it is usually loud.

Not that it helps any with getting so irritated with those sounds, but it helps to know there is a reason behind it!

Now if I could lose my hearing, I'd be better off ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment