Monday, January 2, 2012

My luck strikes again (continued)

Why is it that every time Tim leaves, something has to happen?  I was already prepared for the windows to be replaced (still haven't heard back on the estimate) and I wanted to replace our stove..........

I am NOT a decorator.  I have no talent for decorating my house.  I can copy - yes, I can do that.  But unless I find something I have fallen in love with that I can copy, it won't happen.  We've been in our house for 7 years.  I can't tell you the number of bare walls.  We do have a few pictures up in the living room and one on the wall over the stairs.  We have a vaulted ceiling with a ledge separating the living room and kitchen.  The first couple of months I was here, there was nothing up there.  Then my sister-in-law made a comment that I needed some greenery up there because it was so bare.  So, the few days before Tim came home from overseas I splurged at Roberts Crafts and did this:


Then, of course, my sister-in-law makes a comment about the forest I had up there.  Seriously?  She criticized what I did?  She didn't know what a blow to my ego that was - I had been pretty impressed.  Yes, it is now in desparate need of updating - but I'm pretty sure that was an okay way to decorate at the time.

Anywho, above our kitchen cabinets there is empty space.  I didn't take a before picture, or I would show you how pathetic it looked.  Tim had brought home a very pretty set of glasses from Turkey.  they were put up there inside each other and bundled all up together.  Plus, they were down a couple of inches from the trim, so you couldn't see much of them.  I also had my mom's pitcher and cups she got when she was first married up there.  It really wasn't pretty.

So, with Roberts Craft closing their doors, I decided to get some styrofoam sheets and put on top of the cabinets to raise the cups up and then I covered the styrofoam with material (which I am going to change out when I find what I want) and strategically placed the glasses up there.  Again, I am not a decorator and this is the best I could come up with (so please don't criticize me and make my ego take another hit!):


This is a close up of the glassware - I'm not liking the material under it
Even though I want to make a few changes, I am pleased that it looks ten times better than it did before.  Imagine all of that scrunched up together.

All of that work lead to this:


A cracked stove top.  Yes.  What you are looking at is a small portion of the crack that now graces stove.  I am sooooo not happy with myself.  As I was placing the cups on top, I stepped on the stove and not the other side of the counter as I thought I had.  I heard the crack and swore.  It runs all along the right hand side.  What an idiot I am!

So, although the oven didn't work very well, at least the stove top did.  Did.  I did try the other side hoping that it would work and wouldn't cause problems and thankfully the other side works.  Thank heavens for that!  So now all we have to do is pay off our fridge this month (our six month interest free time is up) and then purchase a stove with interest free payments for six months.

Of course we are still trying to figure out how to pay for new windows and a new tooth.

At least the stove sort-of works.  It isn't like I plan on cooking another big meal anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I like your decorating! I wouldn't know any different though because I am not a decorator either! I just try, but it never looks so good! Sorry about your stove that sucks! Doesn't it seem like everything goes wrong all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete