One year ago, we made a major decision that changed our lives for the better. I can't believe it has already been a year! This time last year we were waiting to hear back from Ivory Homes on whether or not they accepted our offer for our house.
Two years ago I had fallen in love with an Ivory Home house plan called the "Mapleton" and we almost signed on the dotted line. But we just couldn't do it. For a 1575 (Main level) square foot house on half an acre, we were looking at $275,000 (and that did not include granite countertops and have vinyl flooring). I loved that plan but it just didn't feel right. (Side note: that house plan on a smaller lot would have been $310,000 now)
Then last year, after the incident with our neighbors, we knew it was time to move - and Tim once again took me to an Ivory Homes salesman to look at a house. I did not want a two-story house (which this was), nor did I want a corner lot (which this was) nor was I going to spend $330,000 on a house. At that point, I didn't even think I wanted to build a house - all the landscaping work and fencing expenses was not something I wanted.
But we walked thru the model home (the "Tivoli") while waiting for our salesman. And then the thought of building wasn't such a bad idea. I mean, I had loved the "Mapleton" and it was an option for us. As we wandered thru the house I slowly grew to love the Tivoli - the floor plan, the openness, the BATHROOM. This house is 400 square feet larger on both levels and is absolutely perfect!
And so our journey began. We put in our offer and waited for it to be accepted. Our salesman laughed because the first time he saw me smile was when I signed on the dotted line - I was so resistant to the idea and finally just had to let my fear of change go and make the plunge (I mean, I knew at that point it was okay for us to move - fasting had given me that answer). While waiting for the acceptance, I kept changing my mind on which house to build - we didn't need anything this big (our house has 1960 square feet on the main level) nor did we need to spend so much money (yes, it was well over what I wanted to spend, which was no more than $300,000). I would change my mind (driving Tim crazy) but I just never felt comfortable with the decision until I would throw my arms up in the air and say "Okay the Tivoli it is" and then peace would come back.
One year later and we are all settled into our home (there are several unpacked boxes downstairs still - but obviously we don't need them).
We love it here. We love our ward. We love love love our neighbors.
Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment