Thursday, November 7, 2013

Stupid City

Okay, I know I shouldn't complain about insurance because we have truly been blessed with having decent insurance at no-cost to us.  We have a nice benefits package.  We HAD a nice benefit package.

We knew that the days of not paying for our insurance was coming to an end.  We almost started paying last year.  But with no raises for several years, the City Council didn't want to punish the employees with pay cuts (which is basically what it is).  So they found a way to keep our insurance free to us.  This last June, the budget was adopted and we were told that all employees would have to pay 5% starting in January.  I was expecting $70 a month.

Well, we were told today differently. 

If I want to keep the same insurance, I will now have to pay $182 a month.  If I want an inferior insurance, I can choose that option and not have to pay.

But only family plans have to pay.  The single employees and couple employees get their insurance for free.

Big fat liars. 

And, rumors are going around that some employees have gotten very nice raises this last year.  Very nice.  I'm glad they got those - because the rest of us barely got anything and some of us are now taking a big it.

I know I shouldn't complain because we are blessed.  But I did not anticipate losing $182 a month!  Unless I want the free insurance, but then everything else goes up and I'll be paying more in the long run anyway.

Lovely.  My anxiety level shot up today.

I guess since this is the month of gratitude, I should be grateful that my insurance didn't increase $650 a month like it did for my brother-in-law!  Their old coverage was one that was cancelled so they had to get new coverage - and their coverage is now like our free, crappy insurance plan!  On their bright side - he has a great job and she has the potential for a great job if she needs to work that they can manage.

1 comment: