Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Book of Mormon

Awhile after General Conference, I had the desire to once again read the Book of Mormon.  I am the first to admit that I am far from perfect.  We don't hold regular Family Home Evenings.  We don't regularly read the scriptures.  Goodness, we are lucky if we read once in a blue moon!  I have read the Book of Mormon several times.  But it has been a few years since I actually read from the first page to the last page.  I've started several times, gotten to a certain point and then stopped.  Then I would start over.

I didn't want to do that again.  I made a decision that I would read every night and that I would finish the Book of Mormon.  And then start again.  I decided that I would read and then write down my testimony and share that with others.  I am close to finishing. 

This time around, I have had a thirst and hunger for reading the Book of Mormon.  There were only a few times when I had to force my way through the chapters.  And which ones were they?  The Isaiah chapters.  I have a hard time understanding those.  But I pushed my way through and conquered the Isaiah chapters!  I couldn't put the Book of Mormon down.  I would literally read until my eyes didn't want to stay open any longer.  One more chapter!  One more!  And I can't wait to finish because I can't wait to start all over!  I can't wait to really delve into the chapters and study them.

There have been several things that have stuck out as I've read.  Things that happen over and over and over.  And it scares me.  How many times did Satan lead away the Nephites?  How many times were they strong and righteous and happy - and then lead away by Satan?  How many times did the members of Christ's Church leave and become wicked?  How many times did those who were righteous fall away from the church and become more wicked than the Lamanites?  Isn't that happening today?  People are being lead away and it is so sad to me.  Those who fall away from the LDS Church are more vocal against the church and have a hatred of the true gospel.  How many have left the church because of the homosexual issue?  How many have left or thinking of leaving because of the Ordain Women movement?  How many are questioning the basic gospel principles?  How many are getting offended over something and leaving?

In my own family, I have those who are not homosexual but think that it should be okay for them to get married.  Some think it is perfectly fine and nothing wrong with it.  I believe homosexuality goes against God's commandments.  It scares me.  What is next?  Viewing child pornography?  Those who have those tendencies claim they were born with it and it should be just fine?  Will we have to allow them the right to view that or we are discriminating against them?  Satan has a way of taking something and twisting it and making it seem right.  And then people follow along and soon it is "fine" and "natural" and "okay".  That is what is happening today.  We are being bombarded with things that are wrong but the world thinks they are right.  And if you don't agree, then you are wrong and ridiculed.

Our home is more peaceful when we are doing the things we are taught to do - pray, study the scriptures, attend church, attend the Temple.  Are we perfect?  No.  But we are trying and that is what we need to be doing.  We need to stay strong and not allow Satan to pull us away from what is true.  I have a strong desire to help my family stay strong and firm in the gospel principles.  And I am making an effort to change our habits so that we are doing what we need to be doing to keep the spirit with us.

I have been blessed with a wonderful family and the wonderful opportunity to have been raised in the gospel and to have a knowledge of the plan of salvation.  I believe that Jesus Christ did come to this earth to offer up himself as a sacrifice so that we could return to live with our Father in Heaven.  I love this gospel.  I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I love the fact that we can repent and be forgiven of our sins.  I love the Book of Mormon and all that I am learning from it.

(Wow - if you have stuck it out and read to the end:  THANKS!)

4 comments:

  1. Teri, thanks for sharing your testimony! I too, love the Book of Mormon. I found this cool quote from Elder Christofferson the other day that says, "The scriptures remind us of what we knew in our premortal life. And they expand our memory in another sense by teaching us about people and events that we did not experience personally. These scriptures take us to significant events we did not experience in person. They are a touchstone of measuring correctness and truth, for teaching us selflessness and charity, strengthening our faith and lighting our path...Study the scriptures carefully, deliberately. Ponder and pray over them. Scriptures are revelation, and they will bring added revelation...May we feast continuously on the words of Christ that will tell us all things we should do." Love you and miss you! I hope to see you at the family reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful testimony! I know there's a difference in my home and in my heart when I read the Book of Mormon often and deeply and when I let it slip. Thank you for reminding me! :)

    ReplyDelete