Tuesday, March 25, 2014

What I do

A lot of people have questioned and/or made fun of my pen stash.  I have to admit, it is a bit odd.  I mean - not many people have over 1,000 pens.  Of course, if they did I'm sure they would have them neatly organized like this:

 
 
Of course, they could be organized even better - I try to keep them level and nice and neat but it isn't always the case.  Especially my pencil drawer.  My left drawer has black ink pens.  The middle drawer has blue in up front and colored in in back.  The right drawer has pencils and markers and crayons.
 
My husband thought I was kidding when I first told him my plan of having pen drawers in my kitchen.  (We went from having one utensil drawer and three narrow drawers to 13 regular drawers.  I had to fill them somehow!)
 
And I wonder why people make fun of me.  Okay, so I don't wonder - I know.  Don't ask me why I like pens so much.  I just do.
 
And people always tell me that they are sure many of them have dried up and don't work.  I can assure you that I regularly go through my pens and if they don't write up to my standards then they are promptly hucked in the trash.  They have to write smooth and with no clumps. 
 
When I watch movies or tv, I usually don't just focus on watching it unless it is something I haven't seen before.  I am doodling.  When I am working on minutes at work, I am doodling.  How do I doodle when I'm supposed to be listening to the tape recording of a meeting?  Well, I go through and make complete sentences in my draft and try to make it sounds as good as it can.  Then I listen to the meeting and make necessary changes.  Since I don't have to continually type, this is what I do: 


I write different words down that are mentioned.  I doodle.  I write "I love you Tim" or "I love my Ster" or anything else I want to write.  I write names of who is talking - over and over and over.  I circle things.  I just love to be writing things down.

I make written lists.  And re-write them if the paper gets messy.  I keep all sorts of scrap paper on hand and just write write write!

I'm weird, I know.

And guess what?  I have another meeting tonight.  So, later this week I'll be able to use one of these babies and doodle:


(I'm have a City Council meeting tonight and instead of wasting gas to run home and then come back, I've decided to eat at my desk and blog.  What a life.)

1 comment:

  1. I love pens, too. My collection is not nearly as big as yours, though I definitely see some of my favorites in your drawers. :)
    I also have to go through them regularly and throw out any stingy pens or markers.

    BTW, I LOVE that picture of your family, and you have very pretty handwriting. :)

    ReplyDelete