Thursday, April 3, 2014

Changes

I don't do so well with some changes.  I have a tendency to dig in my heels and protest things.  So that has made this week a bit interesting.

I think my complaining at work backfired on me.  I was asked to help with Customer Service Training.  At first, I thought it was an easy "Do This" and "Don't Do This" type of presentation.  So I spend a couple of days looking at different websites for customer service etiquette and put together a list of the ten most common things to watch out for.  Okay, only 9 most common things - I saw one website that put down leaving food and drink in the break room.  About that time, my lovely co-worker started to munch on nuts.  So I added that to the list =)

After I put this together, I met with our Chief of Staff (who was over the presentation) and she had something totally different than I was expecting.  She put together a really nice presentation - the hows and whys of customer service.  Our City Administrator is pushing for "Excellence American Fork" and that includes excellent customer service.

Hey, I complain enough about the poor customer service here so I should know what to say to them, huh!

I did not like being part of the presenting.  I came up with the list and then needed to come up with something to break up the "lecturing" and so I came up with scenarios/roll playing.  There were four different groups and the second and fourth groups were by far the better ones for me.  The people there made it good.  Plus, the two people I really wanted to stress some areas on were in the 1st and 3rd group - and I totally chickened out on some things.

Anyway, one thing that we have been asked to do is answer the phones in a specific way.  I am to say "Hello, American Fork City Administrative offices, this is Teri.  How may I help you?"

I don't have a problem with it.  Is it long?  Kinda.  But not bad.

Most people are throwing fits.  It is too long.  Too formal.  Too fake.  Normally, I would probably be complaining too.  But I'm not this time.  In fact, I am relishing in the fact that the ladies out front are being pushed to be more consistent and <hopefully> more pleasant. 

One lady was complaining that she has had so many people hang up on her since she started to do that.  I was kinda surprised.  Then I thought that maybe our Administrator is calling in to check and just hanging up.  Nope.  My friend called in to talk to me and the lady out front hung up on her.  So it isn't a problem with people not liking it.  We have phone issues.

I love it.  It brightened my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment