Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Remember how I was itching to sew but didn't have a sewing machine?  Well.....we couldn't afford a Bernina until next year....but our stove is now acting up and so it looks like the Bernina is NOT on the menu next year.  So I settled for a $200 Brother sewing machine.  I checked out the reviews and shopped around and compared what it came with.  I wanted a $170 machine, but would have to order it - and (1) I didn't have the patience to wait and (2) Tim told me to get the $200 machine because it had more stitches.  Of the reviews, most everyone liked them.  Only a few had anything negative to say.  So I bought the $200 sewing machine.  And I had "sew" much fun playing with it last night.  The stitches were awesome!  It was quiet.  It worked like a charm and I was "sew" excited!  I couldn't wait to cut the rest of my fabric and start to put my quilt together.

So I started playing around with it tonight using more of the stitches and practicing the blind hem (I am not so good at that).  And. It. Broke.  The STUPID machine broke!  The second day!  Are you KIDDING ME?  It jammed once and that was the end of that.  At first I thought "Great - this is the same thing mom's sewing machine does." But I pulled it out and worked on clearing it and it looked good to go so I started up again and BAM! it jammed.

I am so bummed.  So, I get to go exchange it tomorrow.  And I am going to sew, sew, sew like crazy the rest of the week - if it breaks again, then I'm taking it back for good.

But I'm going to give it one more shot.  Surely it was just a lemon machine, right?

update:  I opted not to get another machine right now.  I just didn't feel right about it - I didn't feel 100% right about it the first time and didn't listen.  Look where it got me!  So, no sewing machine for me.  I don't want to spend $200 if the machine ain't gonna work!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I was starting to get so excited for you! =P My machine's problem is that it is jammed, too. I've tried cleaning it out and changing the needle, but no luck yet. Any tips from working with your mom's machine? =)

    ReplyDelete