We've experienced a miracle at our house. Actually, a couple of miracles.
First, Ster and I have been reading about Franklin D. Roosevelt for their Wax Museum. I read to him the first day (he had to read 90 pages in 3 days. Do you know how long that would take us to read a 90 page book? A lot longer than 3 days) and questioned him on what we read. He remembered most of it the next day. Except he couldn't pronouce Polio. I was so proud of him. He even remembered what they read on Tuesday night (I was at a meeting). Last night, I read again to him (we read 30 pages the first day, they read 15 pages the second day, and we had to finish the rest) and we talked about it and then after an hour or so we worked on his graphic organizer. We started to list things about FDR. And Sterling remembered several things. A miracle! If it isn't a video game or a movie, he doesn't remember as well.
Second, as we were writing his lists down he wrote his own sentence. Miracle!
It might sound silly to most people considering he is in 5th grade and it is a miracle he wrote his own sentence. But we struggle DAILY with the simple homework tasks that most kids can do easily. A good chunk of that is because he is working with us - his resource teacher has said that he can do things in class if he tries. But I don't recall him writing his own sentence without help from us. As I realized he was writing his sentence without ANY prompting from me, I started to do a happy dance inside - but it sure burst out when he completed the sentence. I guess he liked my reaction because he came up with his own sentence again later on and was so proud of it.
Maybe, just maybe, we will survive school age years!
And maybe, just maybe, he will graduate! (we are now into geometry. i am really bad at geometry!)
No comments:
Post a Comment